Our Doors Are Open was developed to offer diverse faith communities in Ontario simple and creative ideas to help increase inclusion and accessibility for people with disabilities in worship services, events and all activities of the community. More and more, new voices are challenging old approaches to understanding and explaining accessibility and inclusion. Our team of experts have lived experience of disabilities and they have given special attention to issues of inclusion raised by members of disability organizations and by voices from the disability community.
Our vision is for people with disabilities to be able to enjoy their spiritual beliefs and actively participate alongside other members of their faith communities.
Who We Are
Our team is part of the Inclusive Design Research Centre (IDRC) at OCAD University. IDRC has worked locally and internationally since its inception in 1994 to build a more inclusive world. We bring inclusive design thinking in our core activities:
- Growing design and development practices
- Creating inclusive digital tools that others can use and contribute to
- Teaching the principles and techniques of inclusive design
- Advocating for inclusion in international standards
- Providing services that match solutions with individuals
What We Do
To truly empower people with disabilities to become agents of positive change in their local communities, we recognize that everyone has a role to play. Our Doors Are Open helps all faith communities to understand how to open their mind, hearts, and doors to people with all kinds of abilities.
Our team brings together like-minded faith community members to take part in workshops and seminars that span across Ontario to learn how to open their doors to people with disabilities.
What We Offer to Faith Communities in Ontario
Our Doors are Open offers a series of clear and straightforward suggestions in order to promote inclusive thinking in your community. You can:
- Read our Guide and download a copy to keep (you can share it freely)
- Sign up for a seminar or contact us to give a workshop at your place of worship
- View our resources and good practices
- Contact a participating community to learn and share ideas
- Follow us on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and Youtube.